In his 1982 bestseller about the American space program, appropriately titled Space, James A. Michener says, “People make themselves capable.”
You could use that quote to introduce an end-of-course writing prompt.
Discuss how Mitchener’s observation that “people make themselves capable” was/was not illustrated by your own experience in this class.
In preparing to write, think about these questions:
- What does it mean to be capable?
- How is being capable different from anything with which it might be confused?
- Of what, if anything, did you become capable during this course?
- If you developed some capability, how did you do that?
- If you didn’t develop some capability, why did you not develop capability?
- Do you think your experience with regard to making yourself capable is similar to or different from that of your peers in this class?