I’ve recently received a list of new webinars for teachers from a prominent provider of professional learning webinars. There were eight or nine webinar titles listed. Not one webinar on the list was about teaching content.
As I looked at the list, I tried to remember the last time I saw a webinar that was targeted at helping teachers do a better job of teaching academic content.
In the last year, I’ve seen lots of webinars offered on topics such as
- family engagement,
- social and emotional learning,
- dealing with traumatized youth,
- selecting technology.
Is anybody offering webinars on academic content teaching topics such as:
- using informal writing to teach grammar
- teaching dual-enrolled (high school and college) students to write across the college curriculum
- using literary nonfiction in teaching high school courses
- how to teach high school writing so every student writes at least competently?
I hope somebody is teaching some of those topics because reading and writing nonfiction is a requirement in the working world outside education.